Monday, June 18, 2012

Good-Bye

I would have to say that my first experience with good-byes took place at the age of 8.  Our family left the lush, fertile Salt Lake Valley for the dry, desert oil field  located in Rangely, Colorado.  We left behind a small new home in suburbia, maternal extended family, friends, neighbors and a very happy childhood.




Experience #2 came with graduation from Rangely High School.  By now I  had come to love the desert and the beauty of the oil field.  I loved the house on the hill, the neighbors and my friends.  It was a wonderful time of life and I found graduating a rather difficult good-bye!




Experience #3 came when I left the Belgium Brussels mission.  After serving the people of France and Belgium for 18 months I had come to love the people and the countries.  I loved the language, the cobblestones, the crazy driving habits, the shops, the missionary spirit and camaraderie. but most of all the Belge and French people.

Years later I would be taking my own children to the Missionary Training Center to say my good-byes. Knowing full well when they returned life would not be the same. They would return as adults, attend Utah State University, find a spouse and begin life on their own. 

A very difficult good-bye took place in the year 2000 when I said good-bye to my parents.  My father on the 6th of July and my mother on October 27th.  While bathing her one morning I had remarked that  for Halloween she was going as a skeleton!  She had lost so much weight.  She thought that was funny and agreed.  She was buried on Oct. 31st.  She had a change of costume.  She went as an angel!





My most recent good-bye took place in Salt Lake at the Utah National Guard Air Base.  My youngest son would be leaving us for a year or so for tour of duty in Afghanistan.  Seeing the airplane close and in full view and seeing all the men in army uniforms was quite an emotional moment.  I had taken 3 children to the MTC to say good-bye for 18 to 24 months and not shed one tear!  Now it was a different scene!  Yes, I did shed some tears and I do not cry easily!!  I did not have my camera with me, but KSL had theirs and it was much better than mine!!  You can watch Phillip and Kristina on:
www.ksl.com 
Type this in search:  150 National Guard soldiers deploying to Afghanistan and click the video.
  

"How blessed  I have been in life to have someone that makes saying goodbye so hard."  ~Carol Sobieski and Thomas Meehan, Annie

Yes,  my life has been extremely blessed.  I also recognize that  without those good-byes I would not have hellos.  Saying good-bye to Kearns meant saying hello to Rangely.  Saying good-bye to Rangely meant saying hello to B.Y.U., France and Belgium.  Saying goodby to France and Belgium meant saying hello to Scott and Delta.  Saying good-bye to Matthew, Jonathan, Alizabeth and Phillip meant saying hello to Laura, Melanie, Ben, Kristina and 9 little grandchildren with 3 on the way!  As difficult as good-byes may be I would not ask to do without them.

Goodbye for now and thanks to all for blessing my life! 

2 comments:

  1. Indeed. Bittersweet...
    Love you...
    Scott

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great blog, we will keep your youngest and his family in our prayers.

    ReplyDelete