Saturday, February 23, 2013

Pride and Penitence

Tomorrow is not an average Sunday.  Tomorrow is Stake Conference.  It was 6 months ago that we attended our last Stake meeting.  I do not remember so much as to what was said last conference, but I vividly remember a lesson I was taught.

One of the counselors in the outgoing Stake Presidency was speaking.  I am clueless as to what he spoke about. Can I blame that on my age or perhaps my adult A.D.D?  But I can most certainly tell you what his 'becoming' taught me.  As he spoke I was so very impressed with his humility.  Such a humble man.  The choices  he had made showed in  his face, his countenance, his appearance, his very life.  I could not help but reflect on his younger brother , who had passed away not long before. and the extreme difference in the two.  His brother lived life, as the world would say, in the fast lane.  Plagued by addictions. He died young, well what I would now consider young, probably 50's (my grandchildren would say that is old).  For one brother his life motto seemed to be 'my will be done' while the other brothers motto seemed to be 'thy will be done.'  Pride versus humility.  I spent my entire conference reflecting on the two brothers, how very different their lives  had been.  Not only for them, but also for their prosperity.  Here were two brothers, both loved by their Heavenly Father, both having a Savior who died for them, both given their agency to make their own choices.  I was reminded of two quotes:  

"When one makes a choice he irrevocably binds himself to accept the consequences of that choice."  Marion G. Romney

"Individuals and nations will continue to choose what they want, but they cannot alter the ultimate consequences of what they want."  Neal A. Maxwell

I know the speaker was not nor is not perfect.  I know he has made choices in  his life that he most likely regrets.  We all do.  But his humility and penitence, combined with righteous desires has served him and his posterity well.  I have given much thought to pride versus humility since that meeting.  Realizing I do way to well with the 'my will be done'.  Pride , unfortunately, comes easy for me, way too easy.  But I suppose the first step is recognizing that weakness.  That, for me, is obviously the easiest step.  Now to choose to change.  To choose to be humble.  To choose to follow Christ.  That is a little more difficult.  But I will attend Stake Conference tomorrow and move forward one step at a time.  Hopefully remembering this fine man, his choices, the blessings that followed his choices and choosing that path for myself.




1 comment:

  1. Great post hun! You know all too well what the P. stands for in SPB. Petersen Pride will be the death of me. Funny, but I do not see you as a prideful person -- much more humble...
    Love ya,
    Scott

    ReplyDelete