Friday, January 27, 2012

Jobs I Have Known and Loved...and I am not talking about Steve!

I spent 5 years of  my time and money investing in a Bachelor of Arts degree from Brigham Young University.   One spring I noticed a help wanted ad in the local paper and I decided it was time to put that costly piece of paper to good  use.  I applied for the job.  I interviewed for the job.  I got the job!!  And I proudly displayed my certificate in the visor of my new truck.  Like a Navy Seal I now had a mission to complete.  Terminate (or was it exterminate?) the mosquito population.  I became an official member of the SWAT team.  Well, okay in actuality I was a member of the West Millard Mosquito Abatement team.  Yes, I was an official fogger.  Perhaps that helps explain why I quite often find my brain  in a fog!  I was armed (pesticides that would lay across the farm land in such a beautiful fog when the weather was just perfect!) and I was dangerous, that is to the mosquito.  For him I was supposedly lethal.  The job definitely had its perks.  Good pay.  Quiet time after a day at home with children. Slow lifestyle. After a busy day on the run with children (normally exceeding the speed limit!) now between the hours of 8 p.m. and 12:00 a.m. I was  to drive 5 to 10 miles an hour max!  Plenty of time to think, ponder, and relax.  The most rewarding part of the job was definitely the view!  Absolutely gorgeous sunsets, storms that I could observe as they came rolling in, falling stars, a meteorite that literally turned the dark sky into the light of day for a few seconds! Yes the skies were 'heavenly' to watch. Each night bringing with it a new and totally different performance.  Then there was the wild life.  The human 'wild life' was hysterical to observe and I do have my share of stories.  Enough said on that subject.  The animal kingdom wild life was much, much more  thrilling to behold. For some unknown reason they are not quite the idiots humans can be.  More brain cells perhaps. There was the owl going in for dinner, poor little bunny foo foo. Yes, I had to remind myself this rabbit  had fulfilled the purpose of its creation. The deer grazing in the farmers field.  The summer the mice population was at an all time high, go hawks go!  The toads and snakes I would watch out for.  The beautiful red fox, not so beautiful weasel.  The mama skunk with her little ones in tow.  Why I even witnessed a beaver walking down the road!!!  I did not know Delta even  had beaver!  That was a truck stopping moment to watch him waddle by the ditch bank and then swim off.  Yes, it was a job I loved, but like all good jobs it came to an end.  Midnight just became too late for me to stay awake, especially at that slow of speed! I was becoming a hazard!  It was time to move on and find another use for my spendy piece of paper. 

P.S.  FYI.....dark outside + lights on inside + open curtains = great view for anyone on the outside looking in!  Especially when they are driving by ever so slowly!  Trust me I know.

4 comments:

  1. lol I had forgotten about the foggers till I read this. talk about memories he he

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I have me some good ones Gina!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved when you'd take us fogging with you. I loved stopping at Hink Stink for a treat, and then having some quiet one on one time with my mom. I also remember you coming home once or twice in the middle of the night to wake us up so we could watch the storms. Glad my mamma was a fogger!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, it was fun to take you kids once in awhile. Something I actually was NOT suppose to do. Shh don't tell a soul!

    ReplyDelete