Friday, January 6, 2012

The 'Presents' of Family

Now that Christmas 2011 has come and gone it is time to take a quiet moment and reflect on my favorite Christmas present.  Was it the cat apron from my dear friend Marjie?  Who by the way received a cowgirl apron from me!  Too funny.


Or was it the new addition to my collection of Nativities from Howard and Syd?  So cute!! Don't you love the sandals?

Or could it be the photos, frames, and family wood block from Phil and Kristina, the family photo calendar from Liz and Ben, or the digital photo frame (which is a HUGE hit with the grand children.  They love watching photos of themselves and cousins!) from Matthew, Laura, and children and Jon, Mel, and children?


Ummm, what was my favorite Christmas present?  Oh yes, I know!!!  It was watching my adult children (in laws and out laws) enjoying one another's company.  Playing games together, enjoying food and conversation together (minus the discussion on the death penalty!)  Children making a mess of my home and grand children making a bigger mess of my home. Everyone getting along one with another.  Yup, that would be my most favorite present of all.  Their presence.  The only thing that would have made it better would have been 100 % attendance instead of 75%.  But we will take whom we  get and not throw a fit (unless I forget to take my Celexa!) 

"The best of all gifts around any Christmas tree: the presence of a happy family all wrapped up in each other."- ~Burton Hillis


4 comments:

  1. It was truly a blessed Christmas at the Bassett home -- thanks to you, my dear wife! You know how to throw parties, one after the other to keep us all well entertained.
    Love, Scott

    P.S. The gifts from the family were most appreciated and sincerely loved.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thought it was all lovely, even the Death Penalty discussion. Watching you dance with excitement over someone's death helped me find my own answers to some questions. Besides, I apologized for getting upset, as did Phil . . . what's not beautiful about that. Your grown kids fighting . . . and actually making up? Must be a pleasant change from days long ago.

    Oh Mother (and Father) I love you both so. I can't wait to take care of you in your old age. You always help me laugh, relax, and feel special.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Honey what do you mean wait? We are in our old age so tell Benjamen to get moving back to UTAH! Love ya to the moon and back! Mom

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, I dread the inevitable, but I'm sure it will happen soon enough. Just hold your horses.

      Delete