Monday, December 26, 2011

The Little Shepherd Boy

We have some Christmas traditions at our house.  I am certain you do also.  One tradition we do is put together a 500 piece puzzle.  I purchased the puzzle and put the outside edges on.  Then it was time to invite Max over to help us.

The first day he came over to help he said to me:  "Grandma do you remember last year when you hid one piece so you could put the last piece in? "  Yes, I did remember that.  That is another  one of my traditions!  I thought no more about it.  Until the next day when Max and his dad came to the house and his dad said:  "Max took one piece to the puzzle home to hide and it went through the washer and dryer."  Now our 500 piece puzzle was 499 pieces.  No problem.  I told Max we would just write a letter to Santa and ask him to bring us the missing piece.  Santa purchased another puzzle just like the one with the missing piece.  Mr. and Mrs. Claus had great plans to find the one missing piece, place it in an envelope and leave it under the tree.  Until.....we finished the puzzle and now it was a 486 piece puzzle!!  Zekey!!!!  I looked under couch cushions, I pulled out every piece of furniture, we turned the main living area upside down and we did not find the missing puzzle pieces.

Now fast forward to tradition #2.  It was a brand new tradition.  I hid a pickle ornament on the tree and told Max and Ava the one to find the pickle would receive a prize.  My tree almost did not survive this new tradition.  I had to change the rules to whoever found the pickle when we took the tree down would win a prize.  Then I got smart and hid the pickle in my stacking ornament.



I hid the pickle in Joseph!!  Max and Ava would never think to look there!

We invited the kids over last night to help take down our ugly, dead tree.  They looked and looked for that pickle! It was nowhere to be found.  Quite like our puzzle pieces!  Finally I took the stacking ornaments off of the tree and asked Max and Ava if they would like to take the ornaments apart and stack them one inside the other.  Max said no, he was certain that pickle was still somewhere  on the tree!  Ava took me up on it .  She opened Joseph and much to her delight and Max's dismay she  found the pickle!  But it was Laura  who truly found the prize. 

The thirteen missing pieces to the puzzle!  Wonder how they got there?!?  That sneaky little Zekey hid them in the shepherd! 

Aunt Liz did a great job typecasting the grandchildren in our Christmas pageant.  Max was the wise man, Ava the angel, and Zekey...well he was the shepherd!

No comments:

Post a Comment