Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Immigration

She was in the third grade.  Beautiful brown skin, big dark eyes, tall for her age, very smart, bi-lingual, an American citizen, born and raised in the good ole U.S. of A.  I had her in my reading group and I just fell in love with her.  Such a delightful child.  Fast forward 2 or was it 3 years and she and her little sister, little brother, and mother were all transported back to Mexico.  Father stayed  here, he was legal mother was not.  Had I had access to a magic wand I would have waved it and legalized mom. I  have always wondered what happened to this family.  

One complaint I have heard from those around me is the fact that:  "They take jobs away from the legal citizens."  I do not believe that to be a true or factual statement.  We are surrounded with dairies and let me tell you I believe they would hire American workers if they were willing to work that hard for that low of wage. Americans can collect more on unemployment than work those long hours! Same scenario for the fruit pickers.  Sometimes I think: "Yes, send all the undocumented workers back to Mexico and let the people see how it affects them."

Another complaint I have listened to:
"I am tired of having my tax dollars take care of these children (via Medicaid, subsidized programs, etc.)  How interesting these same people ( who had nicer homes, clothes, cars, etc. than the documented/undocumented worker) took advantage of the system.  Yes, I have no problem paying taxes to feed children from low income families, whether they are here legally or illegally, but I do  have a problem paying  taxes to feed those who are dishonest on the paperwork- those who live in nice brick homes, dress to the 9's and drive nice cars.  I think I better end here.

I for one find the majority of our Hispanic families wonderful people.  Parents who love and care for their children.  Parents who are looking for a better way of life for  their children.  Can you blame them?  I wonder what my ancestors would have thought had their ship not been allowed to dock?  They came  here seeking a better life what if that had been refused to them? 

I found a site I loved and agreed with concerning this subject.  It is www.democrats.org/issues/immigration_reform


In closing I will quote one statement from this page:

"We must never lose compassion for those who wish to improve their lives through self-determination and the realization of America’s promise."

Yes, it is time to revise the immigration system and not by Arizona standards!

1 comment:

  1. Loved your comments on immigration. In this regard we are a perfect match!!!

    As an elementary school principal, I used to cringe when approving free lunch applications for farmers who drove fancy cars/trucks and had the best tractors, boats, campers, and toys around -- when we were a one car (chevette) family gladly paying the full price for our children's daily lunch. I blame that in part on our tax system, which allows farmers to "write off" just about anything. I think we would all agree the tax system is broken and needs a major overhall.

    I had a fine young man in the office recently requesting documentation that he had attended schools in our district from Pre-School through 12th grade, had graduated from our system and was a decent law abiding citizen. We know this person well and he IS a contributing member of society with a small family of his own. He faces deportation because he is an "illegal." He was brought to this country when he was six months old. (Did he have a choice in coming here?) He knows very little Spanish and the U.S. plans to send him to one of the most crime ridden parts of Mexico. He broke down in tears, stating that he did not know a soul in the town where he was born. He was afraid for his safety and welfare -- not wanting to leave his wife and children behind. He was working with a lawyer, but I'm not sure the lawyer was on the up and up. My heart broke for him. Our system is broken indeed, but it must be addressed at the federal level and not at the state level by Arizona or "wannabe Arizona" Utah legislators (who are a disgrace to their religion, if you want my opinion!).

    Enough said. My blood is boiling just thinking of the self righteous among us who seek to "force" their "value" system on us. Not interested in them kinda values, thank you!

    ReplyDelete