Monday, December 19, 2011

The intricacies of politics requires much too heavy thinking for my simple mind!  Suffice it to say:

Concerning:

1. Environment:  We all have an accountablity to take care of planet earth.  I am not a tree hugger, but I do not believe in raping the environment either. We have a stewardship with what we have been given and I think with that stewardship will come an accounting. We would be wise to remember, "We do not inherit the earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children." ~Native American Proverb 


2.  War:  I am pro defensive ( which does require preparation, time, and money) warfare, anti offensive warfare.  The other morning as we played the Star Spangled Banner  my thought was : "Yes, our flag was still there, but what about all those men who were not."  An overwhelming sense of sadness came upon me.  War is  ugly, but it is necessary and vital at times. To all those brave men and women who fought/fight to protect my freedoms I say thank you. 


Of all the quotes on war this was one of my favorites.
"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."  John Stewart Mill

3.  Marriage:  "We, the First Presidency and the Council of the Twelve Apostles of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, solemnly proclaim that marriage between a man and a woman is ordained of God and that the family is central to the Creator’s plan for the eternal destiny of His children."  Yes, as  a member of the Church of Jesus Christ I trust and support the First Presidency and Twelve Apostles.  Not blindly do I trust.  But because  of my own personal witness to the truthfullness of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints.  But let it be known as strong as I feel about this I also feel that strong about how we treat our fellow man.  I strongly believe there should be NO, NONE, ZERO, ZIP  discrimination between male, female, black, white, gay, straight, Mormon, Baptist, etc.  I do not understand the acts of violence or persecution mankind  imposes on its fellowman due to our differences. 


4.  Immigration...I'll leave this for tomorrow.




1 comment:

  1. We're pretty much in agreement on these issues. I am quite "green" and I do put my faith in the science supporting global warming. We should leave the earth in a better state than we inherited it, and as Americans we most certainly are not doing that very well.

    Concerning war, I am much more dove than hawk. I do not support the aggressive warfare we have engaged ourselves in in recent years, and I do NOT agree with forcing democracy on anyone. Was not Satan's plan one of "force"?

    I do believe that marriage is ordained of God and that it is between one man and one woman (not so sure I believe that either should have more than one -- who in their right mind would want more than one?!!). I do however favor civil unions for those outside of marriage. Such unions should have the same privileges as marriage -- insurance, housing, protection from discrimination, etc.

    Your ever liberal husband, Scott

    ReplyDelete