Friday, December 9, 2011

Thoughts on Blessings and Gratitude

I have been pondering blessings and gratitude.
     How grateful I am for the good parents my grandchildren have.  Then my thoughts turn to of some of our little ones at school who are not so fortunate and my heart aches. 
     How grateful I am for a warm home and food to sustain life.  Then I think of those who are hungry and cold and I feel guilty.
     How grateful I am for the safe keeping of my children.  Then I remember my friends and neighbors who have lost a child in their youth and  my heart is filled with sorrow for them and anyone who has buried a child.
     How grateful I am for the health I enjoy.  Then my thoughts turn to my friend who is in the early stages of Alzheimers and it is so heartbreaking.
     Sometimes blessings and gratitude seem like a double edge sword to me.  If that makes any sense at all.  I am grateful to have never been a victim of physical, verbal, or sexual abuse, but what about those who have been. I am grateful for a job I love, but what about all those who are struggling with unemployment. The list could go on and on.  I guess what I am most grateful for is the Gospel of Jesus Christ.  Trusting that somehow, someway it will all work out.  If not in this life then in the next.

1 comment: