Saturday, December 17, 2011

Taxation with Honest Representation

Taxes, after all, are dues that we pay for the privileges of membership in an organized society. ~Franklin D. Roosevelt

Well said, very well said.  As for the privileges I am grateful to pay for....

Education:  I for one am pro public education, which is funded by the taxpayer.  If one is wealthy enough to send their children to private schools go for it, but no I do NOT want to pay for it out of my tax dollar.   I prefer to use my portion of taxes to educate the common man's child.  

Police Force:   I enjoy the safety of my city, thanks to the police force which watches over us.  In a small town you pretty much know them.  My neighbor belongs to this profession.  I see him as honest, hard working, selfless in his service, and underpaid.

Delta has a wonderful city library which benefits many members of this community.  I admit I need to take greater advantage of this public asset.

Transportation:  I do not know about you, but I enjoy well kept highways.  As we travel back east to visit our children and grandchildren the interstate makes my life and the lives of all of us easier.  On the other hand when I travel up north UDOT always has major road construction going on.  Our legislatures are angry with the fact that the people of this state voted no against funding private schooling.  Therefore, they are using the taxpayers money to fund road construction at the cost of public education.  They are trying to 'starve the beast'.  The beast being public education.  Wish I would have saved that article to post. Think I should stop here.  The thoughts of it only agitates me.  Suffice it to say I am grateful for the interstate and local road upkeep and very ungrateful for Utah Legislatures whom I would like to see all booted out.



Enough said about taxes.  I am grateful to be able to pay taxes.  I have no problem with it.  I do have a problem with those in office who misuse sacred funds (Taxes are paid in the sweat of every man who labors. ~Franklin D. Roosevelt) and believe there will come a day and time when they will be held accountable for it.  I am pro flat tax rate, but I would do it on an income based scale.  The lower the income the lower the flat tax rate. 

I like to pay taxes. With them I buy civilization. ~Oliver Wendell Holmes, Jr. 

I for one quite enjoy the civilized and privileged  world I live in.  I feel I owe a debt of gratitude to all of those past, present and future hard working, honest people who  made and make this possible.  Thank you.



4 comments:

  1. Enjoyed your commentary Dear. You are spot on, as usual.

    Doing away with public education is part of the grand Republican plan. Even my right wing Mormon colleagues at work will admit that, but would they vote for a Democrat? Heaven's no, because Democrats are pro-choice and support civil unions. I must give the Republican Party credit for the way they have brainwashed America, particularly Mormons, into believing they are the party of values. I find their religious rhetoric disturbing.

    Public education is what made America great. I fear greatly for the future of our country if she ever abandons this program that provides for ALL its citizens, not simply the elite few who can afford private education.

    Scott

    ReplyDelete
  2. So by flat tax rate, do you mean no write-offs? Meaning, based on income, you pay a certain rate regardless of clarifying statuses? Maybe we'll just have to discuss this more over the dinner table, in four more days!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think I will have to triple my pill if I am to discuss politics with you and your father at the dinner table!!!!!! Mom

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, we're that burdensome on you, huh?

    ReplyDelete