Sunday, August 15, 2010

The Flip Side of Sunday Happenings

  • My last post could have been entitled : "The Serious Side of Sunday." Sundays are not always so serious, in fact, there are times it can be highly entertaining. Today happened to be one of those times. Relief Society had begun. I was sitting on the next to the back row. Behind me is a pathway and behind that pathway is a row of chairs lined up against the wall. The very back row is where you sit when you wish to be out of the watchful eye of the teacher! Hoping never to be called upon. Hoping you won't be caught visiting and passing notes! Does that ring a familiar High School Days scenario? The sister began presenting her lesson. The sisters behind me began their chatter. They had quite a bit to talk about one with another. They spoke rather loudly. At this point I was thinking, "Holy Hannah girls, keep it down." Then I heard one of them say: "Here I will share my treats with you." I was now seriously thinking I was definitely sitting in the wrong row! Next one heard the sound of paper as the treats were being passed along, opened, and then stuffed in their purses or whatever. This was followed by the sound of crunching and chopping. Obviously, the treat had to be some sort of hard candy, like a mint. Now I was quite curious as to who was sitting behind me, but I did not dare turn around and stare. That would be rude! Once the treats were devoured they began talking about who had surgery. That explained it all. Louder talking (we no longer have the ability to hear like we use to), mints (little old ladies and mints seem to go hand in hand), and health issues ( the most important and only subject matter to discuss, other than funerals.) As I left the room I did take a peek and yes it was our dear older sisters enjoying Relief Society to the fullest! Bless their hearts! I suppose I should define older knowing that I am an 'older' sister to my teenage neighbor. Okay, they could be my mom! Strange to think I do not have too long before I am their age. Nice thing about that age is your behavior is no longer considered rude, just highly entertaining.

2 comments:

  1. That is pretty funny. And you're right . . . had they been your age (or younger wink wink) it would have been very rude. Kids and old people have it easy in terms of manners.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That sounds like relief society in our ward. The "oldies" sit in the back and chatter to each other in their "quiet" voices. I love it because then I don't feel so bad when I have a screaming toddler.:)

    ReplyDelete