Sunday, August 29, 2010

Precious moments

The first week of school is behind us. Actually, for Delta Early Childhood Center the first two days are behind us and they did not pass without moments of humor. One took place with a parent, the other with a child.
Story #1: It was the very first day of school. A father came in to the office to pay his little daughter's lunch money. Little did he know what was in store for him. Had he known I am 100% certain he would not have entered. There were 4 women in the office: myself, the assistant, a mother, and the school nurse. Four women, one man. Not just any man mind you, a father and a police officer in full uniform. He paid the lunch payment and then................then the school nurse cornered him about his daughters food allergies. He has a daughter in preschool and one in kindergarten. Both have food allergies. The nurse was relentless with her questioning. All for a good cause, mind you. She has the interest of the two children at heart and breakfast is soon to be served. Can they eat the muffins, drink the milk? But ...she forgot she was talkiing to the father and really what do fathers know? Not much unless the mother tells him and after all he had only been told to come in and pay for lunch. The interrogation was too much for one man to handle. In exasperation he threw his hands in the air (did he think he was under arrest!) and said: "I am getting freaking frustrated. I just came in to pay lunch. I don't know what they can and can not eat. Their mom takes care of that!" Dang it was funny. Anyway, it was funny for us four moms! Bless his heart! He is a great father and guy and I think when he sees the school nurse approaching he should turn and run the other direction!
Story #2: Friday afternoon Danny missed the bus. I had Danny in the office. I had phoned his mom and she was on her way to pick him up. He seemed rather bored so I decided to visit with him. I asked him what his favorite part of the day was. He looked perlexed by this question and so I reworded it. "Danny, what did you do today at school that you really liked?" He was deep in thought and then he replied: "My teacher is soooooo bossy!" Okay, let's try it again. "Well Danny, what did you learn today at school?" This did not take any thought. He blurts out: "Well, I did NOT learn to read!" So he has a bossy teacher who did not teach him to read. I do not think Friday was his best day, but I'll tell you what, he made my afternoon. He needs to miss the bus every Friday so I have my Danny moment. He is a funny child!
But now I ask you all.....what did you learn today?

No comments:

Post a Comment