Wednesday, October 12, 2011

A 'Rose' By Any Other Name Is Still A 'Rose'

It was 1978 when I married and moved to Delta, Utah.  I promptly found employment at the Extended Care Center where I would meet some of my most favorite people of all time.  One of the  first to endear herself to me was Rose.  Rose was about 4' 9" tall and about 3' wide.  She was a delight!  Not your typical LDS woman,  but then neither am I.  Her vocabulary was most colorful and very upfront.  Which was one reason I found her so endearing.  I brought her home one evening to enjoy a meal with my husband and myself.  My mother in law was aghast to think that I would do such a thing.  You see Beulah and Rose both grew up in this area and both grew up on totally different sides of the tracks.   None the less Rose came  and we had a marvelous time together.  But my favorite memory of Rose took place in Fast and Testimony meeting.  For my readers who are not of the LDS faith the first Sunday of every month is Fast and Testimony meeting.  We fast for 24 hours, donate the cost of our meals to the needy and then whomever feels inclined bears their testimony during Sacrament meeting.  A typical testimony might go like such:  "I know the church is true.  I know President Monson is a prophet of God, etc., etc."  Remember Rose was NOT your typical LDS woman thus her testimony was NOT your typical testimony.  Hers went something like this:  "The  blankety blank Bishop would not give my blankety blank husband a Temple recommend because he had a blankety blank affair with another blankety blank woman."  It was quite a lengthy testimony but that is my memory of the event.  Most of the members in attendance were either sleeping soundly or to deaf to hear.  I, thank goodness, fell in to  neither one of those categories!  It is a testimony I will always remember and cherish.  Why? Because of the dear little woman who gave it. I look forward to seeing Rose again when I part this life.  For now I enjoy my memories of her and a relationship with her most wonderful granddaughter Myrt.   Lesson learned...make friends with people from all walks of life, from all sides of the tracks.  If you don't you may miss out on some of the most cherished friendships and memories.  "Memory is the power to have 'roses' in December."  Thanks for the memories Rose!

2 comments:

  1. What a sweet memory. I, too, loved Rose. She was one character you could never forget. If it were not for you, my dear wife, I would have missed out on knowing such a treasure. Thank you for loving and caring about everyone. Thank you for helping me be a better person because of your kind good heart.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this mainly cuz in most of my life I have felt like I was on the wrong side of the track. I love the finding beauty in the most unthought of places and knowing it is ok to over look small thing to find true gems that help not only expand our lives but also help us find out who we truly are.

    ReplyDelete