Tuesday, October 18, 2011

'Curious' George

Having a daughter and son-in-law live back east (D.C. area) provided us with the wonderful opportunity to visit many historic sites.  One of those sites happened to be Mount Vernon.  Which was absolutely beautiful.  Such a gorgeous view of the Potomac River.  Undescribable.  Below is a photo of the home, but not a photo of the gorgeous view.


"Mount Vernon, the home of George and Martha Washington, is the most popular historic estate in America. Situated along the Potomac River in Northern Virginia, Mount Vernon is just 16 miles south of Washington, D.C. For more than 40 years, George Washington, Commander-in-Chief of American forces in the Revolutionary War and the first President of the United States, called Mount Vernon home.

Today, guests to Mount Vernon can visit the Mansion, more than a dozen original structures, Washington’s Tomb, and nearly 50 acres of his extensive plantation. The estate also includes a working blacksmith shop and the George Washington: Pioneer Farmer site, a 4-acre demonstration farm with a reconstructed slave cabin and 16-sided treading barn."

As beautiful as this site was I had difficulty visiting it.  Why? Because it was built by slave labor.  My son-in-law tried to  enlighten my mind with the fact that slave labor was part of that time in history.  But to  my mind that still did not make it right.  During our tour we were informed how often President Washington and  his wife entertained visitors.  It was frequent.  We were asked how we women would like to entertain that often and my thought was:  "Well, if someone else was doing all of the cooking, cleaning, and laundry  than yes I could entertain quite frequently."  Slavery disturbs my inner being.  The irony of it all...They fought for freedom, their freedom, my freedom, your freedom, and yet they were slave owners.

I am grateful to President Washington and all of the early patriots who fought for my freedom, but I do have a question to ask when I get on the other side.  Did your conscience ever speak to your heart and soul that slave labor was wrong?  Just call me 'Curious' George.

1 comment:

  1. Thomas Jefferson's original draft of the Declaration of Independence abolished slavery. His co-authors made him take it out as they redrafted it. Yet, Jefferson owned slaves until his dying day. It really is so complex, and confusing.

    ReplyDelete