Sunday, March 14, 2010

"You Can't Pray A Lie"

As one enters the Delta City Library you are greeted by a statue of Samuel Clemens, more commonly known as Mark Twain. After reading "The Good Earth" I decided I needed to acquaint myself with Mr. Clemens. I choose to read "The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn." I must admit this book did not hold my interest as "The Good Earth" did. In fact, when I would retire to bed to read I would quickly become fatigued and end up falling asleep! Scott informed me I was not in High School and thus did not HAVE to read it, but yes, yes I did. So I read it...even though it took 4 weeks! I took it back to the library. Checked out another book : "Beloved", only to return the following day to turn in "Beloved." Much too graphic for me. The librarian was surprised to see me. I explained my dilemma and re-checked out, for two more weeks, "The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn." I told her this book had to hold more to it than the adventures of a young boy going down the river with a runaway slave. This time as I read I tried to envision Mr. Clemens speaking. That made it much more enjoyable! Now I will share with you what I consider to be a great moral of the story. Society, in Huck's time, said slavery was a okay. To help a runaway slave was against the law. Huck seems to constantly struggle with his moral conscience, that society has helped wrongly form, versus what his heart says. Here is a quote from spark notes: "Based on the boy’s description, Huck realizes that it was the dauphin himself who captured and quickly sold Jim. Huck decides to write to Tom Sawyer to tell Miss Watson where Jim is. But Huck soon realizes that Miss Watson would sell Jim anyway. Furthermore, as soon as Huck’s part in the story got out, he would be ashamed of having helped a slave, a black man, escape. Overwhelmed by his predicament, Huck suddenly realizes that this quandary must be God’s punishment for the sin of helping Jim. Huck tries to pray for forgiveness but finds he cannot because his heart is not in it. Huck writes the letter to Miss Watson. Before he starts to pray, though, he thinks of the time he spent with Jim on the river, of Jim’s kind heart, and of their friendship. Huck trembles. After a minute, he decides, “All right then, I’ll go to hell!” and resolves to “steal Jim out of slavery.” Huck has such a kind heart! He even feels bad when the two men who caused him such grief are tarred and feathered. "That night, Huck and Tom sneak out of the house. As they walk on the road, they see a mob of townspeople running the duke and the dauphin, tarred and feathered, out of town on a rail. Huck feels bad for the two, and his ill feelings toward them melt away. “Human beings can be awful cruel to one another,” he observes, ( what a truth!) Huck concludes that a conscience is useless because it makes you feel bad no matter what you do. Tom agrees." Huck I disagree. The conscience is a great tool, but when it has been indoctrinated with false teachings of mankind then it makes life difficult. I returned the book to the library and will now begin "SIlas Marner." Marion the Librarian tells me it is milk toast so I should be just fine. Hope it does not take 6 weeks to finish!

1 comment:

  1. Look at you go! I remember really liking Huck and Jim when I was in High School. I was suppose to re-read it in college, but I'm pretty sure I just spark-notes-ed it.

    Beloved was WAY over my head. If you want to read Toni Morrison, I suggest Paradise or her short story Recitatif (actually, her short story is a must, I teach it EVERY year to all of my classes).

    Middle March is consistently on the top of all book lists. I've never read Silas Maner, but I'm sure if it's Eliot you'll enjoy it.

    ReplyDelete