Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Remembering Beulah


The year was 1919 and the day was March 3rd (yes today!) when Beulah Marie Petersen was born to Nels and Edith. I do believe she was born in a home in Deseret. It was her Grandpa and Grandma Bennetts home, but Grandpa at the time was deceased. She was the 7th child and 4th daughter, though they went on to have 2 more girls and one son after her. Of course, I first met her in 1977 or was it 78? How well I remember the visit even if I can not remember the year! My friend and I took a road trip to Moroni and Delta. We had made previous arrangements so the visit was not a surprise. When we arrived in Delta it was dinnertime so we stopped at Taco Time and enjoyed a meal. Then we found Beulahs home, the present one we are living in. I was expecting a chubby farm wife (did I just describe myself!) to greet us at the door. Imagine my surprise when a slender, beautiful , classy blonde greeted us! She was wearing a fancy deep mauroon moo moo she had purchased in Hawaii. She said: "I hope you haven't eaten as I have dinner ready." Yes, we put away two meals and when she brought out the huge piece of lemon pie I thought I would die! Beulah was a good cook and a gracious hostess. Beulah and I were very different in so many ways, actually in most ways, but we always got along beautifully. Yes, she could irritate me as I am sure I could irritate her, but as a mother in law and person I loved her. I had a Bishop one time ask me how I got along so well with her (it was well known his wife did not care for his mother!) I told him I just accepted Beulah for who she was. I think acceptance instead of expectations makes life much easier! Beulah loved to golf, travel, do yard work, and read racy romance novels. She loved to wear red because that was Bud's favorite color, but I think her favorite color to wear was pink. And, oh yes, let's not forget those turquois blue jeans! She loved jewlry and she loved to wear her cross to church! She also liked knick knacks and was the proud owner of 3 curio cabinets chuck full of 'treasures.' She was a very good cook and a good housekeeper until her ending years. I wish I had a photo to post, but I do not have a scanner so this one of her bathroom will have to do. It certainly does remind me of Beulah! What a grand lady and I hope she is enjoying her day on the other side of the veil. P.S. I think the bathroom will be soon receiving a make over with our tax refund. Though I will still have the matching bedroom that goes with it!

5 comments:

  1. Happy Birthday Granny B!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a sweet daughter-in-law you are -- and even a sweeter wife. Thanks for the comments about Granny B. She was indeed a character. Loved her dearly and miss her daily. Wonder if she has to wear underpants in Heaven. Sure hope not! Hopefully those loose flowing robes are all she needs! Yikes, I don't know how to post this on your blog so you'll have to read it as is...

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a lovely little tribute to our dear Granny. And yourself I might add. (I chuckled right out loud when I read your "did I just describe myself" comment.

    You two were very opposite, but you did always get a long well. Great example for your kiddies.

    Mmmmmmm, and she was a good cook! I could go for some of her cookies right now. What did we call them? They had a little of everything in them . . . can't believe the name has escaped me. I always loved that she'd make a plate without raisins, just for her picky grandkids like me. Her son better take note of that. I shoved raisins down our vents in Sutherland cause I knew he wouldn't let me have anymore cookies if he saw my picked out raisins. Funny man. Funny daughter.

    Love you Granny B!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Correction -- funny man, funnIER daughter!

    How could you forget the name of those cookies? Best Ever! The story behind them was one afternoon when Howard and Granny were waiting to walk to the corner to get the girls from the school bus (a year or so before I came along) -- they took the afternoon walk almost every day -- they decided to make cookies and make up a recipe of their own -- which became well known as our "Best Ever" cookie recipe.

    I agree -- I could enjoy a "Best Ever" right now. She used to make them in the bread pan (the big silver bowl that she had by the fireplace to put her ashes in once she moved to Delta -- I have it downstairs!) and she always mixed them by hand -- never used a beater. My favorite thing was getting to lick her fingers when she got through mixing -- yummy yummy! I remember gagging on her long finger nails if I got too greedy in my licking.

    Gotta love Granny!!! What a lady...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Best Ever! I knew it was something like that, but I just kept thinking "everything." I did however, remember the story about Howard helping with the ingredients.

    ReplyDelete