Sunday, February 20, 2011

"May I Have The Envelope Please"

This years 2010 Academy Award Winner goes to...........Scott Petersen Bassett for his hard working performance for the last 32 years in "Cemetery Junction", "Buried", and "I 'Mowed' On Your Grave." After 32 years of dedicated service he has , with some sense of sadness, retired from his position as Sutherland Caretaker. During this time the Cemetery has grown from 3 rather dried up areas adorned with 'pioneer trees' and sage brush to 6 green and fertile divisions with many trees of differing varieties. What will Memorial Day be like with a weekend of sleep? We shall find out this year. Perhaps we shall have time to reflect upon the many memories the Cemetery job has afforded our family. Two little brothers playing 'cemetery' in the yard. Little rocks made for the most fantastic headstones! Two a.m water changes dressed only in a night shirt. Who would have expected to see Fred Turner at the Cem at that time of the morning! Eagle Scout projects: trees planted, shed built, shed painted, directory established, and shed painted again and again! Remember when your dad hand washed every single headstone! No bird doo doo allowed at this cememtery. Of course, it was always great fun to 'listen' (sometimes you could hear them a mile away) to Scott and big brother Howard as they tried to locate the deceased so they would know just where to place the newly deceased. I think for a while they truly believed Max Johnsons wife had resurrected: body, coffin, and vault all! Yes, those were some good years, some good times. And, all of you children receive an award for best supporting actors and actress. He could not have done it without you. Thanks

2 comments:

  1. I was going to say "Dad washed the head stones?" I remember spending an entire Sunday afternoon washing, and cussing that I couldn't mow lawns better cause somehow I was the only one to be found.

    People will always think me strange for the peace and calm I feel at cemeteries. I remember biking (and even running one cold winter night) down that road just so I could sit with Grandpa and reflect on life.

    And I can't think of the cem without missing Bertha.

    ReplyDelete
  2. And those midnight water changes allowed for some great curfew breaking nights. Nothing was better than the excuse that you couldn't find the sixth sprinkler at the cem! I'll never forget Dad drawing me maps of where to pull before I headed out for a night on the town!

    ReplyDelete