Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Sinner, Slacker, or Social Anxiety Disorder...Call it what you may

One ringy dingy, two ringy dingies..."Hello, this is 'so and so' and I was calling to see if you could bring (note she did not say furnish) a treat to Relief Society Meeting (aka Enrichment, Homemaking, etc.) I knew this tactic. I knew it well. I had used it before while serving in Relief Society. The more people you involve at the meeting, the greater your attendance. I replied that I would be absolutely delighted to 'furnish' a treat for the sisters of Delta Fifth Ward. What time would she like me to deliver it to her house so she could take it? She did inform me that the reason they were involving me was to get me there. Yes, this I knew. I was not born yesterday or the day before. Actually, it was a little over 59 years ago, but I did politely explain I do not attend week night Relief Society meetings. I know, I know, shame on me. But I vividly recall when a Bishop asked me in an interview why I did not attend 'Homemaking'. The answer was honest and simple. I prefer staying at home with my family. He burst out laughing and said: "Good for you!" I guess I interpeted that response to imply that it was a okay for me not to attend evening RS meetings. Call me a sinner, call me a slacker, but don't call me 'to bring' treats! Furnish yes bring no.

3 comments:

  1. I chuckled right away after reading the title. I knew I was in for a treat on this one! Ben asked what I was laughing at, so I read him your title and he said. "Your mom has social anxiety disorder? (3 second pause) She's one of the most social people I know!" So I guess you're a sinner or a slacker.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Claudia you crack me up. You should try going just once, maybe you would like it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am the opposite. Give me a night away from the kids, with actual adult conversation, and I'm in.

    ReplyDelete