Monday, March 28, 2011

snoitcelfeR rorriM

I love Psychology. The study of human behvavior fasinates me. I love reading and studying the Book Of Mormon. Did you know the two go hand in hand? Point #1.



I remember learning that how we view our world is a mirror reflection of ourselves. I love that! I believe it to be true. After learning that I remember having to be gut honest with myself and asking myself how I viewed my ward, which was a big part of my world. The answer was not particularly a pretty one. I viewed my ward as being critical. Yes, I had to admit I was the one who was critical. Then I had to work on changing that part of me.


Well, as I was reading the Book of Mormon I came across the part where Laban accuses Laman of being a robber and trying to steal the brass plates -1 Nephi 3:13. Twelve versus later Laman and brothers try to buy the brass plates with their wealth. Laban is impressed with their wealth, but is not wanting to part with the brass plates. He tosses the brothers out and sends his servants to slay them . Keeping their wealth for himself. Don't tell me....Laban is a robber? See how that mirror image works! Gotta love it. So how do you view your world? Whether it be your family world, ward world, work world, whatever. How you view your world is a mirror image of yourself. But that is not to say you can not change that view if you do not quite like what you see. Yes, I love the study of human behavior and tying it in with my Book of Mormon study time!

6 comments:

  1. Though I do get your point I don't 100% buy into it. However, I've always believed the philosophy that "teen"-aged before is adult behavior, just not as "hidden." And I think that's why I like working with teens. Also, I've noticed that behaviors that bug us most are usually ones we are guilty of. Whenever someone complains to me about the way someone acts I find myself thinking "you do that all the time!" So I do get where you are coming from. But I see the world as beautiful, diverse, arrogant, evil, spectacular, racists, fearful, faithful, humble, greedy, and on and on and on. Surely I am not every aspect of the world around me.

    You're smiling so big right now I can practically see it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mirror image in action story. Sister A went to her RS President demanding to be switched. Her partner and sis they went to did nothing but gossip and she was above that. The switch was made and Sister A went out for the first time with her new companion to a new sister and what do you think Sister A did while visiting? You guessed it she gossiped! Saw and heard this one with my own eyes and ears. Talk about mirror image in action. You have to listen very closely to what people are saying. Don't get me wrong, Sister A is a wonderful lady with a lot of good qualities, but the incident was quite amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. And which of my students bugged me the most? The ones that just loved to hear themselves talk! Hmmmm.......

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Stupid typos, let me try that again...

    Mom, I tried to call you last night cause you had me thinking about this through out my whole work out. TV choices are bad on Monday night, so I just pondered your theory. I agree with your theory. I just think it gets complicated when you look at the fact that I've been in 5 wards over the past 5 years. It works for you cause you were in the same Ward for 30 years. For me, I'd describe mirror reflection like this: "the behaviors you don't like in others are usually characteristics you poses."

    That 3rd comment down was a big list of examples I wrote out, but I decided to delete. I'll tell you them later if you want.

    I think your analysis of human behavior is the very reason 3 of your 4 kids studied psychology in college. That or we were all just trying to figure out what's wrong with us!

    Love you!

    ReplyDelete