Monday, December 6, 2010

Oh Christmas Tree



I love Christmas! I love having a real tree 'planted' in the corner of my family room for the duration of one month. As a child I remember the Christmas tree as being a Pinon Pine. A big, fat bushy thing. They smell wonderful! The neighbors always had a fir of some sort. A skinny tree. As a child I always liked our fat one the best. When I think of decorating the tree images of my father come to mind. I see him putting on the lights, hanging the ornaments, and neatly arranging silver icicles. Do they still sell those? The lights were big colored bulbs and the ornaments are what we now refer to as 'vintage.' It is so nice to know thatI am now what we refer to as 'vintage'! As an adult I understand why Mildred chose the fir tree. Much easier to place and show ornaments! Much easier to decorate. Yes, I get a fir. I do tiny white lights and ribbon for garland. I do not do a theme tree because I have ornaments family and friends have bought or made for me. I also purchase an ornament when I travel to remind me of my ventures. So my tree is a helter skelter tree! But I do so enjoy it, especially at night when all the house lights are off and only the Christmas lights are on.


"O Christmas tree, O Christmas tree, much pleasure dost thou bring me! For ev'ry year the Christmas tree, brings to us all both joy and glee. O Christmas tree, O Christmas tree, much pleasure dost thou bring me!"


4 comments:

  1. Your tree theme is "O Memories, O Memories" and I love it that way.

    We have a big bushy tree this year -- they are much cheaper out here. But it's hardly decorated and just as short as the one Dad bought you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, check out all those presents under the tree! :) The ornaments make it a more meaningful (I don't that is a word, oh well) tree, and Christmas. The kids love their ornaments.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those presents are for the 7-11 game. Wish you guys were here to join in on the fun! But you will have a great one in your new home with your folks coming!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ma does do a bang up job with Christmas (and everything else for that matter). The kids and grandkids are very lucky she's around at this time of year. I'm fear I am a real Scrooge, but I can sure enjoy all her hard labors and love her dearly for them!
    Merry Christmas Everyone!!
    Grandpa

    ReplyDelete