Wednesday, December 29, 2010

The Reason for the Season

When our children were younger we would quite often take them to Salt Lake City the Friday after Thanksgiving for a mini-vacation. A hotel was always such a treat! Plus we would watch them turn the lights on at Temple Square, a spectacular sight! One year, as we walked around the grounds, the church had a display of Nativities from around the world. This gave me an idea and thus began my collection! A few years back we let the children each choose one nativity that they would someday like to inherit.


James Christiansen is the artist behind this nativity.
I LOVE his depiction of the camel and three Kings.

Scott LOVES the fact that Joseph is holding baby Jesus.
It also comes with a shepherd, the shepherds wife and child,
and the innkeeper. It is by far our most fragile and most expensive nativity.
Matthew Bud choose this one.

While visiting New Orleans one time with my hubby and
some other MSD employees I came across this nativity.
It was love at first sight! I love the fact that the children are putting
on the Christmas Pageant! I love the fact that they are
African American or Black! The gift the King is presenting
to baby Jesus is none other than a pet frog. A perfect gift
coming from the heart of a child.
It too has other pieces that are not in the photo.
Jonathan Scott and Phillip Noel both choose this as their number one choice.
I purchased an extra one and Jon and Mel already have theirs.
This one will go to Phillip.


While serving in the Singapore Mission Alizabeth came across this nativity and purchased it for us. Obviously, it will go to her, but NOT until I am gone!
I LOVE it.
I love the diversity it represents.
I would post a photo of the nativity she choose, but Mr. B already put it away.
It was the one she was raised on. My first purchase was an all white
porcelain Avon nativity set. My least favorite, but she chose it for the memory
it evokes. Anyway, I am glad she gets this one. Otherwise I would feel bad because
I so do not care for the Avon one!

This is my Raiku nativity and once again it is one of my favorites, but it
was not number one on any ones list!Laura liked it best, but being a nice wife (too nice)
she let Matthew choose and he choose the first one. I tend to prefer the ones that
are not traditionally Caucasian.

This one was the one I grew up with as a child.
Religion was not a big thing with my folks so I was glad to see
they did at least display a nativity. I really do need to put some
'thatch' up on the roof! Did get the light working so it could have a star!


I do have a play dough nativity that my children made for me one year when Matthew, Laura, Jon, Mel, and Lizzy were all living in Logan. It is most wonderful! Matthews idea, but when you look at the pieces you can tell who is the crafty, talented one in the family. No offense to anyone, but I think we can all pick out the pieces Melanie shaped! I will have to take a photo of it next year. It is put away also. Along with the paper one that the church produced some 45 years ago. Janet found me a couple at DI and I found two at a garage sale I was helping with. Thus this post will be continued in 2011, same time, same place.

May we all remember throughout the upcoming year the wonderous event of our Saviors birth, life, and atoning sacrifice. May we each remember we are an inn keeper who decides whether to let Him in or not. May we be as the Wise men and seek Him out and let Him in our lives. God bless us all.

3 comments:

  1. You have planted a love for Nativities in me. Every time I see one I first think of you. The next and probably the most favorite one I like thus far is the Willow Tree one. But much too expensive for us to get now. But I love our little black kids one. We get comments on it all the time. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. After getting a little culture in me, I agree wholeheartedly with you . . . the non-traditional ones are the best. But I don't think I'd go back on my choice, the Avon one is for memory. I thought it was so exquisite as a child. I remember when you'd order new pieces and I'd just want to hold them and stare at them. I'll just have to collect Black school children and more cool Asian ones (and wherever else I may travel) as I age.

    ReplyDelete
  3. And I'm sure Dad told you how awesome the DC temple's display is. I loved the ones made out of "poverty" materials. Animal bones, banana peels, rice, etc.

    ReplyDelete