Monday, April 12, 2010

Once upon a time my mother-in-law had a gorgeous yard. Beautiful it was! Then old age and poor health crept in and she did not even have the energy or desire to water it. Neither did we. Needless to say after a few years of neglect when we took over the place it was in pretty bad shape. Last summer with all the construction going on our goal was to just keep what grass was left alive. This spring we have our work cut out for us. Scott has been busy the last week creating a 'desert plant flower bed' in the northeast corner. Now we just need to make a trip to Great Basin Natives for some of our favorite plants. We are putting a garden in the southeast corner. I purchased a handy dandy mantis and Scott tilled from east to west. I put fertilizer on and tilled north to south. Won't be long till we put some seeds in the ground. Hired our neighbor to aerate and he also thatched while we were in Nebraska. Fertilized twice and are hoping we can get it somewhat going this summer. Have lots of places where we need to plant grass seed. Hopefully someday we will have the gorgeous yard that Beulah P. had. Though I am not a huge fan of tulips and have dug quite a few bulbs up. Each time I do I can just hear her cussing me. Sorry Beulah our tastes are just not the same!






2 comments:

  1. Your yard looks great. I can't wait until summer when the kids can run around in the backyard all day long. Poor kids don't have a big yard of their own. Plus it will be too hot here....So Grandma and Grandpa's will be so much fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is so weird to see Dad working in a yard and a neighbors house in the background at the same time. It really took me a minute to figure that out.

    I'm sure you two will have it all lovely by the fall, just in time for it to go into hibernation.

    ReplyDelete