Thursday, April 15, 2010



Yes, Marion the Librarian was correct. "Silas Marner" was milk toast after 15 minutes of Toni Morrison's "Beloved." What was difficult at the beginning were the long sentences and paragraphs! Remember I work with Kindergartners therefore I am use to 5 word sentences or less! I probably found the bio on Elliot more interesting than the book. That was fascinating! I did not know she was the author of "Daniel Deronda." One of my most favorite movies. I am going to have to see if our library has that book, but for the moment I am reading, "Anna Karenina" by Tolstoy. All 800 some pages of it!!!! I loved the first third, but did find a lull in the middle. Am looking forward to the last third. I have decided I need to read Spark Notes as I go along. I took a quiz on "Silas Marner" and I refuse to divulge my score! Perhaps I should have taken the quiz immediately after I read the novel instead of waiting a month. Between my age and A.D.D. I must admit I had forgotten some details. Does that surprise any of you?!?

3 comments:

  1. I always got caught on that in HS. I'd read stuff in the summer and then take the AR tests in the first week of school and FAIL! I don't get it. My students read ahead on our stories and then they ask me questions and I tell them I have no idea what they are talking about, they respond . . . "didn't you teach this last year?" I forget books so easily.

    Have you tried any African lit? Cry the Beloved Country and Things Fall Apart are the best.

    ReplyDelete
  2. But, after Anna Karenina . . . no book will ever make you truly happy again. Besides maybe the Book of Mormon. IT IS THE BEST!

    ReplyDelete