Friday, July 22, 2011

Proud to be a Conservative Democrat in a total Republican State

I read this letter to the editor in the Tribune and loved it.  Such truth and wisdom.  I agree 100%.

"Polls show that the majority of Utahns are willing to pay higher taxes to support better education, yet the Utah Legislature, controlled by the Republican Party, has for two decades consistently voted to reduce funding for K-12. Vicki Rasely asks, “Who keeps voting for these people?” (“Funding dearth,” Forum, July 7) Who indeed? That is the elephant in the schoolroom.

That elephant is Mormon voters. Over the past 30 years, Mormon culture seems to have changed such that it has become socially unacceptable to vote for a Democrat, no matter how conservative. This has guaranteed Republicans’ re-election, regardless of how they vote. Against voters’ wishes, they have consistently voted to defund education, and voters have repeatedly re-elected them anyway.

Education in Utah can improve only if Mormon parents and grandparents work up the gumption to vote for conservative Democrats who support better education funding. Democrats know that their re-election depends on voting according to their constituents’ wishes, something that has not troubled Republicans for many years now.

Next year Utah voters will have another opportunity to change things. Will you vote for better education, or will you once again vote to continue defunding it?"

Brooke Jennings

2 comments:

  1. Mormon culture really does make voting Democrat seem socially unacceptable. At least in UT. I never felt that way in DC. But I feel it again here in WI, I'm sure that is because most the members here are originally from UT and still have strong ties there.

    Just an hour ago a member came to my house. She said she got lost and only knew she was at the wrong apartment because the one she was at had a "Stand with Wisconsin" (the Democrat motto here) on their door. She said "I thought, that doesn't seem Mormon, so I knew it wasn't you."

    I just smiled.

    The Republicans in WI have cut billions of dollars from schools this year. They claim they had to do this so they could help their corporate friends create jobs. Most the jobs being created are part-time, minimum wage, temporary jobs, but in the end they'll be hailed as "job creators." But I'm smarter than that. I understand that they are actually economy killers who are out to destroy Wisconsin public schools.

    I think I'll have to go buy a "Stand with Wisconsin" sign and hang it proudly on my front door.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Where's Wilford Woodruff when we need him so badly? He realized that the only way Utah was going to gain statehood was to divide Mormon congregations down the middle -- half Democrat and half Republican.
    The only way Utah could ever return to a two party system would be through such an action. Church leaders talk the talk, but members won't walk the walk. We all know the Utah political system is corrupt and totally broken -- it would likely be the same if the Democrats ruled with such an arrogant majority...
    Send me a "Stand with Wisconsin" sign Liz. I'll forever be proud to be a Democrat. I never was good at being a "blind sheep." Some would tell you it's dangerous to think for yourself, but never believe it!!
    Pa

    ReplyDelete