Saturday, June 4, 2011

Time Plus Crisis Equals Humor

Departure time: 5:00 A.M. Suitcase, check. Curling iron, check toothbrush, toothpaste check, check. Ruby red shoes, check. Just in case we ran into a tornado and I ended up in the land of Oz I wanted to be able to get home! Fifteen hour drive from Delta to Omaha. Our goal was to make the journey in one day. We had only been driving ten minutes when Scott had to stop and make certain the washer we were hauling across country was still in place. This was my first clue that this would be a very  l o n g drive. He kept insisting we needed to stop at Walmart and purchase another strap for the washer. He was driving. He drove right past the Walmart in Springville. He turned the driving over to me as soon as we hit Provo Canyon informing me we needed to stop at Walmart in Heber. I informed him Heber did not have a Walmart why did he not stop in Springville? Yes, it would prove to be a horribly l o n g day! The best being when we went into Cheyenne, looking for?  What else... a Walmart!!! We stopped for lunch. Scott asked for directions to Walmart, not once, not twice, but three times. We left and one mile later he was lost! We pulled into a gas station, I went in and asked for directions. I think that was when it dawned on me Scott was thinking first exit at the north end of town and the girl was referring to the first exit at the south end of town!!! I then took over the wheel, removed the church c.d. Scott was listening to and turned on the radio. Yes, boot stomping country music. Where they need a drink, maybe even two or three!!! You get my jest. Drove to Walmart, repositioned our cargo straps, put Scott in the passenger seat (time out for him) and seriously considered placing his night time med in his drink. And to think I was worried about tornadoes!

1 comment:

  1. I should have worried about tornadoes!
    You certainly have "twisted" some of the events of our trip -- and you always accuse me of "embellishing" the story! Wow! When you were at the wheel, I couldn't even sleep! You managed to keep me awake by running over the rumble strips every few miles! Your driving did take my mind off the cargo -- instead my thoughts turned to worrying about meeting my Maker prematurely.
    What memories we created for one another...
    Priceless...
    I love you -- Scott

    ReplyDelete